Saturday, July 10, 2010

Lucky Lefty

As I mentioned in a previous post (which you can find here), FET has been much less involved than the fresh IVF cycle, to the point that I was almost wishing for something important to be happening just so I could feel a little more a part of it all. Well, you know what they say about being careful what you wish for...

Yesterday, I had a date with wandy to check my uterine lining and determine whether I would be ready for transfer on schedule. Dr. Jedi explained that I needed to have a triple layer lining measuring at least 6mm, and if it was not ready that we would have to push back the transfer by a week. I was slightly nervous about this but received quick relief when he immediately informed me that my lining was triple layered and measuring 10mm.

Then it was time for a quick check of my ovaries to be sure they were still cooperating. Dr. Jedi explained that the estrogen I have been injecting every 3 days is meant to not only develop a perfect lining, but to also suppress ovulation. He found Righty with no problem and pleasantly reported that it was completely dormant as it should be. Then the hunt for Lefty began. As you may remember from my fresh cycle, Lefty likes to hide behind my uterus, and in addition it to almost forcing me to sacrifice half of my eggs (read more here), it is always difficult to find on ultrasound. After much prodding Dr. Jedi finally manged to get it on screen and issued a slightly worried sound. I had a possible ovulation cyst. If I did indeed ovulate, my progesterone levels would be ruined and the cycle would be canceled. Well, here is the drama I thought I wanted.

Of course, I was freaking out just a bit, nervous that after the long wait to start this FET, it would all be lost and we would have to wait yet another month. I couldn't believe that Lefty was giving us trouble yet again! Dr. Jedi reassured me that the chances were still good that the cycle would be fine and ordered blood work to check my progesterone levels and determine which way it would go. I gave blood and held my breath.

After what felt like an incredibly long 3 hours, the nurse called with the great news, the cycle is still on! My P4 was very low and perfect for me to begin my hCG shots that evening. My transfer is scheduled for this upcoming Thursday the 15th. I can't even begin to tell you the relief I felt. It almost felt as though mischievous Lefty was chuckling and saying "Gotcha!". T
hat left ovary really does love messing with me. If we end up having a child that loves to psych us out and play hide and seek, I will definitely know which side of my body that lucky little egg sprang from.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad things are moving forward for you! my transfer was thursday so i'll be a bit ahead of you this time. hoping we both get BFPs that stick around for a good long 9 months this time!

Unknown said...

YAY!! I am so happy to hear that your cycle is still on! Good luck, I can't what to hear all about your transfer.

Lindsey said...

Yay! I'm so glad things are moving forward for you guys... You'll definitely be in my thoughts on the 15th (and the nine months following!). Keeping everything crossed for you:-)

Amy@LittlePinkDollhouse said...

Oh what a relief!! And OMG Thursday!!!! EEEEEEE!! I cannot wait and have everything I can cross, crossed for you!! This is it!! I feel it!! xoxo

Courtney said...

So happy for this cycle for you. I know it will all go well and that 2011 will be a better year for all of us.

*hugs*

Tiffany said...

Yay Holly I'm so excited for you! It's happening!! wahoo! Lot's of prayers! p.s.I love all the new pics

Anonymous said...

Holly, I am SO excited about this cycle for you. Sending lots of prayers and positive vibes your way that this FET brings you a very sticky little bean. Everything crossed!!!

Three Cats and a Baby said...

So glad everything is moving forward.

I'll be thinking of you all week.

So excited!!!

<3

Anonymous said...

What a relief!! I am so glad you are still able to do this cycle. Fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous said...

Yay!! So excited for you. I will be sending lots of prayers out for you :)

sunnymama said...

Exciting news! My thoughts are with you this week. :)

Jenn said...

That's great! I'm gad that things are on score!

The Infertility Doula said...

That's great news! I don't think I've ever had a cycle that went smoothly. There's always a surprise in store. Fingers crossed!

WannabeMom said...

Yay!!! glad lefty didn't cause you to have to wait. I am so excited for your FET. Really hoping that this is your cycle. Praying for a healthy pregnancy...NO complications! Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Glad everything worked out! I don't know much about ovulation cysts. What exactly do they do to mess things up? Everyone at my clinic has the worst time finding my left ovary and always say it's in the "coldesac". I wonder if I do ivf I will have the same problems.